Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lemon-Ricotta Fritters with Lemon Curd

        I have been collecting recipes in my own scrap book for years, and its gotten to the point where there are too many recipes to look through every time I want to make something, so recipes tend to get lost.  I have been wanting to make this recipe for ever, so I was happy to finally be able to make it. 
        The funny thing is that I totally screwed up the recipe for the Lemon Curd.  It makes a lot and I did not want any of it to go to waste, so I wanted to halve the recipe.  But like always when you are halving anything, the chances of getting the measurements wrong, double.  So when I made the Lemon Curd, I put the full amount of lemon juice and zest, which made a very strong curd.  So to all you readers who are thinking of halving the recipe... write down the halved measurments so as not to mix them up.
        This recipe worked out very well using Pamela's Baking Mix, and came out light and fluffy.  I have not tried this recipe with any other kind of flour but feel free to experiment, and hopefully sometime soon I will have the recipe converted using another kind of Gluten Free flour. 


This recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart

The fritters taste best when served immediately after frying.

FOR THE CURD:

8 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
4oz (½ cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces


FOR THE FRITTERS:

4 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1 cup flour (I used Pamela’s, and have not tested the recipe with any other kinds of flours yet.)
[If using another Gluten Free flour without any leveners you will need: 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon course salt.]
4 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pound ricotta cheese, drained
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners sugar for dusting


TO MAKE THE CURD:

        Prepare an ice-water bath. Combine yolks, granulated sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 9 to 10 minutes.  This process can be very annoying and time consuming but once it begins to thicken, you will be glad for the wait, just stay patient.  Remove from heat, and add butter, stirring until it melts. Immediately strain through a fine sieve into a nonreactive bowl. Set bowl over ice-water bath, and place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour or up to 3 days.



 As you can see here, I also messed up the order of ingredients and added the butter when I was not supposed too, but the recipe still came out amazing.  I love forgiving recipes.

The curd in an ice bath, now most of the ice cubes melted.
See how it thickened and falls off of the spatula rather than runs off, thats how it should be.


 
TO MAKE THE FRITTERS:

       Heat oil in a medium saucepan to 350°. Since I did not have a thermometer, I just guestamated the temperature and went with it.

        Mix together eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl until just combined. Add ricotta, lemon zest, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Add flour and stir until smooth.

        Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, carefully drop a few balls of dough (maybe about 6, depending on the size of the saucepan) into the oil. Cook, turning about 2 times until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes total. My experience was that they liked to turn themselves sometimes, so they may just need a little encouragement. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain temperature of the oil. Scoop the fritters out with a spider strainer spoon, and place onto a sheet of paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place onto a plate and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve with the lemon curd.


 
Eggs, granulated sugar, ricotta, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl to be mixed.

 
The ingredients mixed together make a creamy, smooth sort of batter.
 
With Pamela's added it becomes more stiff and like a wet dough.
 
It should hold more or less into a shape and should not run, as is illustarated with the fork shown above.
 
The beginning of the frying process.

The finished product, tender, warm Ricotta Fritters dusted with confectioners sugar with a fresh Lemon Curd.
Posted by Picasa


2 comments:

silentlyscorpio said...

That looks good. I'm on my way to culinary school soon, I shall try it. :)

foremylife said...

Nice Blog ,I love it, and please feel free to check my site~

Have fun to watch my Blog Live Internet TV

Foremylife